Makerspaces are creative, Do-It-Yourself (DIY) spaces where people can gather to create, invent, and learn. In libraries, they often have 3D printers, book printers, software, electronics, craft and hardware supplies and tools, and more.
ICT4D practitioners help to promote, build, renovate, and support local learning in their communities and to encourage skills development.
- Promote learning and education, creativity, problem solving.
- Facilitate broader community engagement with DIY, tinkering, and creation of local solutions.
- How Libraries Are Becoming Modern Makerspaces -- Article that traces the transition for many libraries to become more general 'makerspaces'. (Reading > make > libraries, makerspace)
- When Making Is Inclusive, Good Things Happen -- Makerspaces as inclusive spaces for communities. (Reading > make > inclusion)
- African Innovation Spaces (Google Sheet) -- Map of Tech & Start-up Hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa from the Cambridge-based Fab Foundation, with the help of BongoHive Tech Hub in Zambia. (Website > make > innovation, africa, tech hub)
- Field Ready Thingiverse List -- Useful 3D items from Field Ready. (Website > make > 3d printing)
- Instructables - Assistive Technology Channel -- Walkthrough instructions for projects that have an assistive technology focus. (Website > make > course)
- Makepedia -- Open design sharing platform. (Website > make > library)
- Maker Map Resources -- An ongoing open source project which aims to create a global database of maker resources - from workspaces to incubators - which is powered by the maker community and easily searchable on any device. (Website > make > network)
- Maker Resources for Educators - Intel Education -- One of the best one-stop-shops for all things Makerspace -- especially geared towards educators. (Website > make > lessons)
- Maker Share -- A community of makers sharing what they can do. (Website > make > network, lessons)
- Maker Space Ideas - International Development Innovation Network (IDIN) -- QuickStart guide to Starting Your (Urban) Maker/Hacker/Innovation Space. (Website > make > lessons)
- MakerEd -- Engaging, inclusive, and motivating learning experiences through maker-centered education for educators. (Website > make > course)
- Makerspaces in Libraries - Libraries & Maker Culture: A Resource Guide -- Compendium of links and organizations working in the Libraries and Maker Culture space. (Website > make > network, libraries)
- Space: Intel Education Idea Showcase - Intel Engage -- Activities and lessons, many of which are creative and makerspace-related. (Website > make > lessons)
- TechShop -- Community of makerspaces and techshops. (Service > make > techshop, makerspace)
- This to That -- Glue advice. (Service > make > glue)
- Fab Foundation -- Non-profit 501(c) 3 organization that provides access to the tools, the knowledge and the financial means to educate, innovate and invent using technology and digital fabrication to allow anyone to make (almost) anything, and thereby creating opportunities to improve lives and livelihoods around the world. (Organization > make > library, network)
- Field Ready -- Social enterprise that combines a wealth of practical field knowledge, advanced qualifications, expert advisors and an open innovation process that has created an opportunity to address some of the most difficult problems faced in remote and difficult places to work. (Organization > make > 3d printing)
- Humanitarian Makers -- Makers, designers, and engineers using 'make' approaches for issues of social good. (Organization > make > network)
- Libraries without Borders -- NGO working in knowledge and culture-based development in the world and supporting libraries in developing countries. (Organization > make > education. library)
- Maker Education Initiative -- Non-profit organization that provides educators and institutions with the training, resources, and community of support they need to create engaging, inclusive, and motivating learning experiences through maker education. (Organization > make > library, lessons)
- Makernet -- International initiative providing systems and tools that connect makers and makerspaces to local markets and manufacturing infrastructure. (Organization > make > network, course)