Computer labs offer flexible environments for education, digital literacy, and engaging with technology in a variety of ways.
Computer labs have a long history in ICT4D and exist in range of setups: school computer labs, telecenters, Internet cafes, and public libraries.
Field staff find themselves still front-and-center in helping to create, facilitate, and encourage atmospheres of technical instruction in a safe, open, and impactful ways.
- School computer labs to supplement coursework in all school subjects.
- Teach computer programming to all ages.
- Practice digital literacy skills and digital responsibility.
- Acceptable Use Policies - Education World -- Examples and tips for creating your own AUP with your local school, cyber cafe, or community center. (Service > computer lab > policies, resources)
- Libib -- Cataloging software for books, movies, music & video games online. (Service > computer lab > library)
- Responsible & Acceptable Use Guidelines - US Digital Literacy -- Creating an 'Acceptable Use Policy'. (Service > computer lab > policies, resources)
- Sample Acceptable Use Policies - Webwise -- Sample 'acceptable use policies'. (Service > computer lab > policies, resources)
- Evergreen ILS -- Software used by libraries to provide their public catalog interface as well as to manage back-of-house operations such as circulation (checkouts and check-ins), acquisition of library materials, and sharing resources among groups of libraries. (Software > computer lab > library, software)
- Koha Library Software -- Scalable library management system. (Software > computer lab > library, software)
- Interconnection.org -- International organization that makes ICT accessible to underserved communities around the world by providing high-quality refurbished computers to nonprofit and non-governmental organizations. (Organization > computer lab)
- Kids On Computers -- Nonprofit organization comprised of a group of volunteers, setting up computer labs in areas where kids don’t have access to technology. (Organization > computer lab > children)
- World Computer Exchange -- Non-profit organization that provides capacity building, low-cost computers, content development, training trips, computers for girls and local e-waste solutions. (Organization > computer lab > funding)